Previously I had mentioned that the property has a few unique problems associated with it. The first being access to the property itself.
Forget about that for a moment. I’m still not sure what to call the river? Well it’s not really a river but a small stream. The great thing about this stream is that it appears to be spring fed right from the property itself. We had a bit of a drought this past summer and I was wondering if the stream was going to dry up but it never did. I took a walk one day along the road and realized that there was no water running in the river upstream from the house. I followed the river bed back to the house and found that the water was coming out of the ground at the back of my property. Pretty cool.
I kind of like the name the river Isen. Unfortunately that is not in the Shire. The other choice is the Brandywine river. This is in the Shire and is associated with the Brandywine Bridge which I thought would kind of go with the building of this bridge that we needed to get done. So at the moment I really don’t have a name for the bridge or the river. If I’m not mistaken isn’t there a magical river or stream somewhere in Middle Earth where if you put your tired feet into it you are not tired anymore and come out of it refreshed? Well if anyone out there can help me with the name that would be nice. That might be an interesting choice.
The existing bridge was made of wood for the most part. The original owners way back when built two stone walls along the sides of the river and then must have backfilled them with soil. After they did that they spanned the stone walls with wood and or I-beams so they could get across to the property. This bridge was surely replaced and redone a number of times over the years. Underneath the wood decking were a couple of rusted out I- beams and a few four by sixes. The bridge was fine to walk over but I wouldn’t trust going over it with a car and forget about going over it with a truck. (Just so everyone knows I was born in the Bronx and I meant to say faget aboooout it!). I need to get over it with a concrete truck which could weigh on the order of 60,000 pounds. Or the equivalent,in layman’s terms, of 240,000 quarter pounders with cheese! I wonder what that looks like? Never mind.
What I did not want to do was disturb the existing rock walls or the existing bridge. So I built right over what was there. I rented the smallest excavator I could and dug footings on either side of the bridge. The footings were about 30 inches wide and about 14 feet long. I dug down about two and a half to three feet but hit a ton of stone, which was good. I was worried that when I started to dig the soil would be poor and organic but as soon as I started digging I knew it was fine.
How did I get the excavator across the bridge? I knew someone was thinking that . That is a very good question because I think the excavator weighs in at about 8000 pounds. The span of the existing bridge is only about six feet. I brought about 12 OSHA plank and spanned the bridge deck by tripling the plank up double wide for each of the tracks on the excavator. Yes, I was nervous going over the bridge and I made sure I got the extra insurance when I rented the machine. I also had a spare pair of fruit of the looms just in case. One never knows how the body will react under stressful conditions.
I made rebar cages for each footing and created an upturned concrete pedestal to receive structural I-beams that would span over the bridge. We just pulled the concrete truck up to the bridge and poured the footings and the pedestals in one shot. To get to the far side I set up a chute on a saw horse (on the existing bridge) and just moved it along the length of the footing.
The span for the new bridge was now about 17 feet. The company I work for has structural I-beams that we haven’t used in years and are obsolete. I was able to get 4 of these and I used them to go from footing to footing. The truck we have can dump so we just backed the truck up to the roadside footing and slowly started to dump the beams. Once the flatbed was up in the air we were able to help the I-beams off a bit and got them to the other side of the bridge. I then had the driver pull forward and they came right off the truck basically where I needed them. All we had to do was pry them into position and we were good to go. I positioned the I-beams in pairs so that two each would be basically under the wheels of any large truck. In between the I-beams I placed metal decking so a 12 inch concrete slab could be poured.
Once this was done it was a simple matter to install rebar and pour the structual 12 inch concrete slab. The ends of the I-beams had bolt holes which I used to pin the I-beams to the footings. This was great because this enabled me to tie the whole thing together. I put inch and a half coil bolts in the four corners to receive an angle iron railing for temporary sides for the bridge. Then we just pulled the concrete truck up and poured a 5000 psi concrete slab flush with the top of the I-beams.
This last photo gives you an idea of what I did and what was there. If you look closely you can see the existing bridge deck just below the orange netting. An engineer friend of mine and I figured that this bridge should be able to take an 80,000 pound truck which should be more than adequate for our needs here. After a few trucks went over it I used a laser level to see if it sank but it has stayed exactly where we originally poured it.
Just a quick update: I hope to be applying for the building permit within the next week or two. I just have to have the architect add some minor items to the drawings that the town wants and we can submit the application.
Hope to update within the next few weeks enjot the Super Bowl!